Betty Hemmert, a charter member of the Mills Brothers Scholarship Committee, was an accomplished pianist and a talented voice teacher. She first came to Piqua in 1945 to teach music at Wilder Junior High School and Piqua Central High School. After her marriage to Piquad, Fritz Hemmert, she began to teach piano privately while rearing their five children: Terri, Rick, Bill, Julie and Joanie (now deceased)
Hemmert was organist and choir director for several churches in the area, and she directed the quartet at the Jewish Temple. She was the founder and director of the Piqua Community Chorus, was organist for hundreds for weddings, and acted as musical director for Piqua Players. Hemmert was also director of two different groups who entertained at different community functions: the Skylarks, a girls vocal ensemble in the 1940’s; and the Silhouettes, a girl’s trio in the 1970’s.
Although she had been teaching a few private voice lessons for many years, by the late 1970’s Hemmert’s teaching load began to increase, and from 1985 until her retirement in 1999, she was teaching as many as 30 students a year from both Piqua and Lehman Catholic High Schools. Her students were highly successful in Ohio Music Education Association contests and on the high school stage. She was a volunteer vocal coach and accompanist for Lehman’s musicals from 1979 until she retired.
- This scholarship is intended to be presented to a resident in the City of Piqua who is currently a high school senior seeking enrollment in an accredited college or other post high school institution. The student is required to reside in the 45356-zip code upon high school graduation. The student must show that he or she has made a significant contribution to the performing arts during their high school years. They should demonstrate that during the four years spent in high school that they had a musical achievement, were committed to various high school musicals or served on the musical committees.
- The scholarship will not be renewed. The committee intends to grant a scholarship each year; however, if the committee determines there are no qualified candidates, the scholarship will not be granted.
- Students shall complete the application form provided by the Scholarship Committee.
- A Selection Committee appointed by the Chairperson of the Betty Hemmert Scholarship Committee will select the scholarship recipient. The Selection committee will review all the scholarship student’s qualifications, applications, academic transcripts and essays. The Selection Committee will also conduct an oral interview. The Selection Committee reserves the right to limit the number of oral interviews.
- The Selection Committee shall have the authority to select an area student who shall meet the following requirements:
- Academic Achievement/Extracurricular – To qualify, a student must have achieved at least a “B” average or equivalent. The student must show evidence of academic achievement in all course work, and excellence and involvement in extracurricular activities with the emphasis on performing arts activities. Applicants must submit a copy of applicable grade reports and a resume’ with the application.
- Essay – All students will submit a one-page typewritten, single-spaced essay clearly stating their future plans in college. The student should explain why he or she should be selected for this scholarship.
- Need—Cost of the educational program selected by the student and his or her ability to pay may be considered but will be the last consideration by the committee in making selection of the scholarship.
The scholarship will be made jointly to the student and his or her school of choice and given to the student. After jointly endorsing the check, the student should make sure the funds are credited to his or her appropriate school tuition account.