Many Americans share feelings of sincere gratitude for what the men and women of our military have sacrificed and endured while fighting for our freedom. The Veterans Memorial Program is dedicated to providing a venue for us to show our gratitude and appreciation; a memorial that will honor all veterans, no matter what branch of service and no matter where they lived or died.
The focal point is an eight foot, black granite monument listing over 100 names of Piqua citizens who gave their lives in time of war from World War I through the present. In addition, the monument includes an inscription, the six branches of service, and a listing of all U.S. Conflicts.
A plaza area surrounding the monument is enhanced by 3,900 dedication bricks. The bricks are available for purchase to honor living or deceased veterans through the Piqua Chamber of Commerce.
Mills/Bogart Brothers Scholarship
The Mills Brothers began their career in 1925 as “Four Boys and a Guitar”. Their parents, John H. and Ethel M. Mills moved to Piqua in 1908-09. The “Four Boys” got their professional start with the local Greenamyer Orchestra. Their first record was cut in 1927 and during the next fifty years, the group cut over 1,246 records. The Mills Brothers biggest hits included “Tiger Rag”, “Glow Worm”, and “Bye Bye Blackbird”.
Similarly, the Bogart Brothers began their careers locally with their starring roles on the Lehman Catholic High School stage. They are the sons of Kathy and Bob Bogart of Houston, Ohio. Matt, Daniel and Dominic received the Mills Brothers Scholarship and have pursued careers in professional music performing in various roles on stage around the country. Kevin chose not to pursue a career in the arts. He plays guitar as a hobby and for various musical productions.
Betty Hemmert Scholarship
Betty Hemmert, was an accomplished pianist and a talented voice teacher. She first came to Piqua in 1945 to teach music at Wilder Junior High and Piqua Central High School. She began to teach piano privately while rearing their five children.
Hemmert was organist and choir director for several churches and directed the quartet at the Jewish Temple. She was founder and director of the Piqua Community Chorus and also directed the Skylarks, a girls vocal ensemble in the 1940’s and the Silhouettes, a girls trio in the 1970’s. Betty taught private voice lessons for many years until retirement in 1999. Her students were highly successful in Ohio Music Education Association contests and on the high school stage.
Historical Home Markers
The Piqua Historical Marker is a handsome cast aluminum plaque that commemorates when a house or building was constructed.
The Plaque is traditionally placed next to the front door, to the right or left side. The plaque is approximately four inches by eight inches in size and is black with gray trim. This would complement any color or facade, giving it a historical and prestigious appearance.
The Historical Marker could be considered for businesses that are housed in historical buildings. It would be an eye catching addition to the front entrance.
Houses and businesses need not be old for owners to purchase a Marker. The desire to display the date is all that is necessary.
Heritage Green Park
Heritage Green Park is located on the corner of North Downing Street and Riverside Drive, the site of the former Medalist Industries.
The park is utilized as a green space and features a drinking fountain, benches, a City of Piqua shield and a plaza comprised of dedication bricks to recognize Piqua residents whose contributions have made our community a better place to live and work. Heritage Green Park was dedicated on April 24th, 1998 to honor the citizens of the Piqua community and will serve as a legacy for future generations.
Dedication bricks can be ordered through the Piqua Chamber of Commerce.
Fire and Police Memorial
To honor all Firefighters and Police Officers who put their lives on the line every day, a beautiful memorial is located at Heritage Green. The Memorial includes two flagpoles, landscaping and benches. The Firefighters and Police Officers Memorial incorporates department shields and a plaza which are comprised of bricks and plaques in recognition of the individual men and women who have dedicated their lives in serving the citizens of Piqua.
The space also features an area of individual bronze markers dedicated to those Firefighters and Police Officers who gave their lives in the line of duty.
The Firefighters and Police Officers Memorial will serve as a legacy for future generations recognizing the Firefighters and Police Officers whose contributions have made our community possible.
Bricks can be ordered through the Piqua Chamber of Commerce.